The Kelham Theological College Fund (KTC)
The Society of the Sacred Mission (SSM) administers the Kelham Theological College Fund, which is available to people training for ordained ministry within the church, and for other forms of training that support the mission and ministry of the church.
Please read the following notes carefully, in order to confirm eligibility for this grant scheme, and to clarify the application process.
Grants may be awarded to individuals seeking funding in order to undertake vocational training that fulfils at least one of the following objects:
- The training of persons intending to take Holy Orders in the Church of England or in any other church.
- The training of other persons whether or not they intend to take such Orders for work in or in aid of Missions conducted by or under the auspices of persons who are members either of the Church of England or any other church for the extension of the Kingdom of Christ in any part of the world.
- The training or education of any persons to fit them to further the extension of the Kingdom of Christ in any way connected with the Church of England or any other church.
Additionally, please note:
- Grants are primarily awarded towards costs of training, such as course fees and direct expenses, rather than other costs not directly related to undertaking the programme in question.
- Grants will not be awarded retrospectively for projects or activities that have already taken place.
For applicants in the United Kingdom, grant applications should be submitted to the Board of Trustees of the Society of the Sacred Mission.
For applicants in South Africa or Australia, grant applications should be submitted in the first instance to the Provincial of the Province in which you are based. They will undertake to confirm the details of your request and if they feel it meets the criteria they will forward it for consideration by the Trustees of the Society.
Please note that grant applications will only be considered by the Board of Trustees twice a year.
Deadlines for applications are 31 January and 31 July, and applications will be reviewed at the next Board meeting following those dates.
Applicants must therefore be aware that the process could take several months, and should allow for this when making their application.
- A limited number of awards can be made in each round and only those applications that meet the criteria of ‘training for ministry’ will be considered.
- Successful applicants will be notified as soon as is practical after the meeting following the deadline.
- Unsuccessful applicants will also be notified as soon as possible following the Trustees’ decision with summary reasons for the rejection of the application.
- The decision of the Trustees is final and there is no appeals process. However, unsuccessful applicants may apply to the fund again after one year.
The completed Application Form, which can be downloaded here, together with any supporting documentation, should be returned by email to one of the following:
Fr Nicholas Buxton firstname.lastname@example.org
Fr David McDougal, Provincial email@example.com
Fr Tanki Mofana, Provincial firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions of Receiving a Grant
If a grant is awarded, you will be asked not to publicise the source of the grant.
You will be required to provide a written report to the Society on the use of the grant. This should be received no later than three months after completion of the activity for which the grant was awarded.
You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g. payment receipts) to show that the grant has been used for the purpose for which it was awarded.
Any grant funding awarded must be applied wholly and exclusively to the purposes described in the relevant grant application. Any surplus funding that remains unspent, or used for any other purposes, will have to be repaid.
The Society of the Sacred Mission is a Registered Charity (1101444) and is regulated by UK charity law. It is a legal requirement to ensure that grant funding is only expended in accordance with the objects of the fund.